After illnesses, Hillary Clinton back at work
This handout photo provided by the State Department shows Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton holding up a football helmet presented to her at the State Department in Washington, Monday, Jan. 7, 2013, as she returned to work on Monday after a month-long absence caused first by a stomach virus, then a fall and a concussion and finally a brief hospitalization for a blot clot near her brain. / AP Photo / State Department
Updated 6:30 p.m. ET
After a series of health problems that ultimately landed her in the hospital with a blood clot in her head, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton returned to work today.
Clinton was first out of work due to a virus and a subsequent concussion that she got after falling due to dehydration. Then a follow up exam to assess the status of her health revealed a blood clot between her brain and skull which led to a multi-day hospital stay.
Her first week back at work starts slow but concludes with high-level meetings with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, President Obama and Afghan President Hamid Karzai who traveling to Washington at the end of the week.
During her absence, Clinton cancelled appearances at congressional hearings related to the Benghazi attacks, leading her critics to question the reality of her illness. Today, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland indicated that Clinton will testify later this month.
"She's made a commitment to testify. We expect we'll be able to get that done before her successor takes office," Nuland said.
Clinton's tenure is winding down as the president has nominated Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., to replace her.
Popular in Politics
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- Obama prom pictures surface 130 Comments
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 169 Comments
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 286 Comments
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare
- Rand Paul uses 2016 bully pulpit to push Obama on drones
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave 131 Comments