George H.W. Bush hospitalization draws concern
President George H.W. Bush and First Lady Barbara Bush play with confetti as it showered them at the 1992 Republican National Convention, August 20, 1992. / Getty Images
Updated 1:11 p.m. Eastern Time
Former President George H.W. Bush has been in the hospital for one week battling a "chronic cough," his chief of staff told the Houston Chronicle, which reports that the president's condition has "drawn concern."
"President Bush is in the hospital," his chief of staff, Jean Becker, told the newspaper. "We have kept this quiet out of respect for him."
Bush Family Spokesperson Jim McGrath told CBS News that the former president "had bronchitis, but they were able to cure that."
"He's still in the hospital with a lingering cough," said McGrath. "This is just a precautionary measure. Very hopeful he'll be out by the weekend. He was admitted to Methodist Hospital in Houston the day after Thanksgiving."
Mr. Bush, who is 88 years old, has reportedly been in and out of the hospital for weeks. The Chronicle reports that his son, former President George W. Bush, visited Mr. Bush on Sunday.
Mr. Bush served as president from 1989 through 1993 and as vice president under Ronald Reagan from 1981 through 1989.
Over a long Washington career, he was also a member of the House of Representatives from Texas from 1967 through 1971, chair of the Republican National Committee, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and Director of Central Intelligence.
UPDATE: McGrath sent the following statement at 1:09 p.m. Eastern Time: "President Bush has been in and out of Methodist Hospital in the Texas Medical Center being treated for complications related to his bronchitis. He is in stable condition, and is expected to be released within the next 72 hours."
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 437 Comments
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong" 151 Comments
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor 96 Comments
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test 62 Comments
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 209 Comments
- Will tornado relief funding escape politics?
- U.S. IDs several men possibly responsible for Benghazi attack
- Poll: Most think IRS targeting was deliberate 217 Comments