Is con-man "Clark Rockefeller" a murderer?
(CBS News) He was born Christopher Gerhartsreiter in Germany, but depending on the time and the place, he called himself Chris Crow, Christopher Chichester or Clark Rockefeller.
The Lifetime movie "Who is Clark Rockefeller?" depicted Gerhartsreiter's life of lies, from taking advantage of wealthy strangers to claiming royal lineage and to marrying a successful business consultant.
"He told me that his parents were George Rockefeller and Mary Roberts," said his former wife Sandra Boss.
Rockefeller imposter capable of murder?
The law finally caught up to him in 2008, when he was arrested for kidnapping his daughter during a bitter divorce and custody dispute. He was convicted in 2009 and is now serving four to five years in prison.
But in true Hollywood fashion, the story didn't end there and his arrest led investigators to dig up a cold case, the California murder of John Sohus in 1985.
The victim's body was chopped into pieces and buried in his backyard. Sohus and his wife lent their guest house to "Chris Chichester" for a time, and remember Chichester was really Gerhartsreiter.
Now, Gerhartsreiter is on trial for murder and the real question is whether the cunning con man is also a cold blooded killer.
"48 Hours" correspondent Erin Moriarty breaks down the case in the player above.
- Hobson: Yahoo buys itself some "cool" with Tumblr deal
- One-pilot flights: Revolutionary or "ludicrous?"
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Self-published Colleen Hoover talks living the American dream
- X Games star invents game-changing prosthetic joints
- World War II graduates go to prom 70 years later
- Canadian jazz singer botches U.S. national anthem
- Accused American spy in Russia: What was he really doing there?
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Eye Opener: Tornadoes tear through 5 states
- John Fogerty: CCR reunion a possibility
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song
- What's for lunch? In Japanese schools it's always healthy
- Who is $600M Powerball winner in Fla.?
- One-pilot airplanes: The future of aviation?