Women wake up grumpier than men
(CBS News) According to a Duke University survey, women wake up far more grumpier than their male counterparts. In fact, females need far more sleep than men and suffer more mentally and physically if forced to go without it, research suggests.
It appears lack of sleep can also put them at higher risk of heart disease, depression and psychological problems and in contrast, men's health appears to be far less dependent on how well they sleep. In fact, men with sleeping problems showed no increased risk of the conditions that were affecting the women.
Lack of sleep may make genes less active
"In this particular study, women had more depression, anger, and hostility early in the mornings when they weren't getting the same amount of sleep than they normally get," said Michael Breus, a clinical psychologist, sleep expert and author of "The Sleep Doctor's Diet Plan." "When they have problems falling asleep, staying asleep, that seems to have a dramatic effect."
Lack of sleep seems to affect women more than men for a few reasons. One hypothesis is that we know that men and women are so different hormonally that women may require more time asleep to regulate and keep their hormones in balance.
Lack of sleep linked to obesity, disease
"Not only are you emotionally affected but you're also physiologically affected," said Breus. "What we found is women who didn't get enough sleep had an increase in a clotting factor which leads to stroke. We also note that there are certain inflammation markers that are higher in women. Inflammation leads to pain, so women could be in more pain than men."
Watch Dr. Michael Breus' full interview in the player above.
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- How tornado survivor Barbara Garcia, rescued dog Bowser are faring
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- Liberace talks his style in 1985 "Nightwatch" interview
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- BASE jumper rides snowmobile off cliff to honor dead friend
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- Schieffer: You can't just declare war on terror over
- Wayne Brady on Bill Maher: Black man comment "pissed me off"
- London attack novel in its simple brutality
- Former POWs reunite after 40 years
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women of 2013 list released
- Tornado survivor, dog receive outpouring of support