Critics: Daniel Day-Lewis "surest" win at the Oscars
(CBS News) The votes have been counted, the dresses have been chosen, and all that's left of award season is Sunday night's presentation. The 85th annual Academy Awards will be handed out to the movie industry's best and brightest at Hollywood's Dolby Theater.
Originally it looked like Stephen Spielberg's "Lincoln" would be taking home the big award on Oscar night, but film critics A. O. Scott from The New York Times and Michael Phillips from the Chicago Tribune say not to be so sure. Both critics were on hand to predict who goes home with Oscar gold and who will have to pretend to be happy for the winner.
"'Lincoln' got the most nominations, but I think 'Lincoln''s mojo got lost, and I think it had something to do with Ben Affleck having been snubbed with 'Argo,'" Phillips said.
However, on the flipside, both critics agree that the "surest" win of the night is that the award for Best Actor will go to Daniel Day-Lewis for his role as Abraham Lincoln.
"If Daniel Day-Lewis and Meryl Streep ever make a movie together, the world will simply implode from the quality," joked Philips.
While both critics are mixed on what Seth MacFarlane's performance as host will be, they agree that it is supposed to appeal to the younger generation.
Scott was a little more worried, saying "I've never been able to sit through a complete episode of 'The Family Guy' when the kids have it on. I flee the room." However, Philips was more positive and anticipated a lot of song parodies, similar to when Billy Crystal hosted the ceremony.
For A.O. Scott and Michael Phillips's full report, watch the video in the player above.
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- American engineer's death suicide or cyber-espionage?
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Incurable bacteria destroying Fla. citrus industry
- Geist: Parkinson's revelation "very difficult"
- What's for lunch? In Japanese schools it's always healthy
- Amy Grant on success and the inspiration for her music
- Emmy-winner Jim Parsons on his "Big Bang" success
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- Vegan firefighter on his "Beef With Meat"
- U.K. casino accuses U.S. poker champ of cheating
- THE Dish: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case
- Predicting weather: National Weather Service gets a boost
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song