THE Dish: Cod prepared Alain Allegretti's way
Renowned French chef Alain Allegretti has cooked for not one, but two U.S. presidents - Bill Clinton and George W. Bush.
Alain, who was born in Italy but grew up on a farm in Nice, France, is the owner and executive chef of La Promenade des Anglais in Manhattan and Azure by Allegretti in the Revel Resort Hotel Casino in Atlantic City, N.J.
He trained with some of the world's greatest chefs, in some of the greatest restaurants.
Alain let "CBS This Morning: Saturday" viewers in on the recipes for his ultimate dish: Cod with Basil Mashed Potatoes and Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes, and more.
Zucchini Flower Beignets
- 12 zucchini flowers
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 quart cold club soda
Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl with a whisk, slowly incorporate three cups of club soda.
Dip Zucchini flower in batter and deep fry at 375 degrees for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on each side. Flip over halfway through, remove from fryer, place on towel and season with salt and black pepper.
Tomato Sauce (for dipping zucchini flower beignets)
- 16 oz can San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 oz diced yellow onions
- 2 oz extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place can of tomato in food mill or crush with hands, brown garlic in a medium saucepan with olive oil. When brown, add onions and season with salt. Cook until soft. Add tomatoes and liquid, cook for 10-15 minutes.
- 1/4 bottle of red wine
- 12 oz. tomato juice
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 head on prawns
- 12 little neck clams
- 12 mussels, large PEI
- 4 3oz portions of cod
To make the sauce: Brown garlic in olive oil, add chili flakes. Add red wine, reduce by half. Add tomato juice and put aside.
Cut cherry tomatoes in half, place on rack in 225 degree oven for 2 hours until dried.
For the Ciopinno: Sear cod in saucepan with olive oil until golden brown. Put aside. Take the shrimp and sear on one side until golden brown. In the same pan, add clams and add the tomato and red wine sauce. Place cod, seared side up in the pan and cook for 4 minutes. Add mussels and shrimp after 2 minutes.
Finish with tomatoes and chopped parsley.
- 4 thick slices of country bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Grill on both sides. When warm, rub with garlic cloves.
To see Alain's recipe for Cod with basil whipped potatoes and marinated heirloom tomatoes, and for Lavender Lemonade, go to Page 2.
- Incurable bacteria destroying Fla. citrus industry
- American engineer's death suicide or cyber-espionage?
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- What's for lunch? In Japanese schools it's always healthy
- THE DISH: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- THE Dish: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Second Cup Cafe: Amy Grant
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- Group: Small SUV study highlights safety flaws
- Predicting weather: National Weather Service gets a boost
- Second Cup Cafe: Amy Grant sings "Our Time Is Now"
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- Emmy-winner Jim Parsons on his "Big Bang" success