Summer of '82: Best ever for films?
(CBS News) Many critics consider 1982 the best summer ever for movies.
To mark its 30th anniversary, the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Austin, Texas, will recreate it by showing all its blockbuster flicks on their original release dates.
They include "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial," "Poltergeist," "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," "Conan The Barbarian," "Tron," "Rocky III," "The Road Warrior," "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "The Thing."
What made that summer so noteworthy?
"It was the last year, I think, that pretentious, pointy-headed critics like me and the mass audience agreed on everything -- well, almost everything," David Edelstein, film critic for the CBS News broadcast "Sunday Morning" and for New York Magazine, remarked on "CBS This Morning: Saturday."
Co-host Jeff Glor asked, "Why can't Hollywood do that these days? It seems like it has to be the massive blockbuster devoid of personality, or the indie (independent) film. You think it's split right around '82 or after?"
"Pretty much," Edelstein responded. "When the corporations and marketing people got in. It's a little bit of a cliche, but the fact is, they will bring in eight screenwriters to punch up the scripts.
"The director will be, in a sense, enslaved by the studio executives, (some of whom) are smart. Most of them don't know what they're doing.
"So, what you get -- movies are kind of (all) the same now. And CGI really depersonalizes a lot of the effects. If you see 'E.T.,' if you see 'Poltergeist,' if you see 'The Thing,' these are really beautifully handcrafted (special) effects in these movies."
To get Edelstein's take on the summer of 1982's blockbusters, click on the video in the player above.
Also, be sure to check out our photo gallery above.
And take our poll at left, to tell us YOUR favorite Summer 1982 film!
- How tornado survivor Barbara Garcia, rescued dog Bowser are faring
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- BASE jumper rides snowmobile off cliff to honor dead friend
- Former POWs reunite after 40 years
- Liberace talks his style in 1985 "Nightwatch" interview
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- Calif. pols push for law to make reckless pay price of rescue
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- London attack novel in its simple brutality
- Wayne Brady on Bill Maher: Black man comment "pissed me off"
- Schieffer: You can't just declare war on terror over
- Eye Opener: Bridge collapse makes for holiday travel mess
- Boy Scouts gay decision will prompt "mass exodus," conservatives say