Floyd Mayweather bets $200,000 on Cowboys, tweets photo of winning ticket
(CBS News) Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s nickname is "Money" for a reason. The boxing champ has earned over $200 million in his career and he topped the Forbes list of 50 of the highest-paid athletes of 2012.
After a financially unproductive two-month stint in prison, he was eager to make more cash. All it took was a $200,000 second-half wager on the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL season opener last night. (The Cowboys won the second half - and the game 24-17). Mayweather even tweeted a photo of the winning ticket as proof:
I bet the Cowboys second half $200,000. This is real. Not a rumor like Michigan.instagr.am/p/POBKB0x3Rs/— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) September 6, 2012
The "rumor" Mayweather alludes to, according to CBSSports.com's Will Brinson, is the buzz that the undefeated boxer threw down $3 million on the Michigan Wolverines against Alabama last weekend (Michigan was destroyed by Alabama 41-14). If true, that would more than negate the Cowboys triumph.
Of course, $200,000 is pocket change for Mayweather. His purse for his fight against Miguel Cotto back in May? A record $32 million.
Popular in Sports
- Indiana Pacers part ways with Larry Bird
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized
- "Egyptian Popeye" says 31-inch arms all-natural
- Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield meet again
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates
- Phelps goes out in style, rallying in 100 fly
- Lance Armstrong sells Texas estate for millions