Watch: Minor league manager's meltdown
Asheville, N.C. boasts some great attractions: the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Biltmore Estate and world-class beer, to name a few. According to the city's chamber of commerce: "The Asheville area has something to intrigue every visitor."
At the top of that list of intrigue should be Joe Mikulik, the manager of the single-A Asheville Tourists. Mikulik has earned quite a reputation for on-the-field antics and he was up to his old tricks Friday in a game against the Charleston RiverDogs.
After an opposing player eluded a tag, Mikulik came storming out of the dugout to argue that the player had illegally run outside the baseline. Because his argument was falling on deaf ears, the Asheville skipper decided the best thing to do was re-enact the base-running blunder. That didn't sit well with the ump.
"That's what got me ejected," Mikulik said, according to the Asheville Citizen-Times. "He said I was showing him up."
But Mikulik was just getting warmed up. After some profane gestures, he decided to rip third base from the field and hand it to a fan in the stands. (See the video above, courtesy of WCIV-TV in Charleston, S.C.)
Back in 2006, Mikulik made national headlines for a classic on-the-field meltdown (see video here) after the umpire called a runner at second safe. Good to see he hasn't lost his enthusiasm.
Popular in Sports
- Heat avoid elimination, beat Spurs in overtime, 103-100
- Aaron Hernandez questioned in death investigation
- Ex- NFL player with ALS responds after radio hosts fired for mocking him
- Armstrong tweets pic with Tour de France jerseys
- Putin denies stealing Patriots Super Bowl ring
- NASCAR's Jason Leffler killed in dirt car event accident
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized
- Danny Green claims NBA Finals 3-pointer record, MVP next?