Sex offender before execution: "Go Cowboys!"
Convicted child sex offender and murderer Jesse Joe Hernandez took his love for "America's Team" literally to the grave.
Before receiving his lethal injection Wednesday, Hernandez "blessed" the audience attending the execution and then shouted "Go Cowboys!" according to the Associated Press.
As the drugs took hold, he again thanked the viewing gallery and said, "I can feel it, taste it. It's not bad."
Hernandez's execution, the fourth this year in Texas, was carried out after he was convicted in the beating death of 10-month-old Karlos Borja, whom he was baby-sitting in Dallas 11 years ago. Borja's 4-year-old sister was also found with similar injuries but survived. Hernandez was already a convicted child sex offender at the time of the incident.
While there are no complete records on this, Hernandez is far from alone in invoking his favorite sports team just before being executed by the state.
In October, 2010, convicted murderer Jeffrey Landrigan was executed in Arizona for an apparent robbery-turned-killing. A prison official said Landrigan's final words were, "Boomer Sooner."
Landrigan, though executed in Arizona, hailed from Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and was a big fan of the Sooners.
Popular in Sports
- Sergio Garcia apologizes to Tiger Woods for "fried chicken" remark
- Bay Area hosting 50th Super Bowl
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- Study: College athletes denied $6.2B over four years
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized
- Indiana Pacers part ways with Larry Bird
- "60 Minutes" stands by Lance Armstrong report
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates