"Minor League Guy": Broadcast graphic doesn't bother with names
(CBS) - Spring training games really aren't that big a deal. It's a time for teams to get back into the rhythm of the season and try out some minor league prospects. Like this guy. Who is this guy? Just some minor league guy. On third. What, you want more? What do you think this is, a professional baseball broadcast?
Well, this actually was a professional baseball broadcast. The guy on third is Oscar Taveras, ranked by Baseball Prospectus as the second-highest prospect the St. Louis Cardinals have. But you wouldn't know that from Fox Sports Midwest's broadcast of the Card's game against the New York Mets on Saturday.
Makes you wonder whether the guy in charge of captioning is the real minor leaguer.
Fox Sports Midwest spokesman Geoff Goldman sent out a good-natured apology over the incident: "Our apologies to Oscar Taveras. He's the Cardinal's top hitting prospect, so we expect to be identifying him as a 'major league guy' in the next few years."
Popular in Sports
- Bay Area hosting 50th Super Bowl
- Upset at the Preakness Stakes
- Study: College athletes denied $6.2B over four years
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates
- Female NFL hopeful kicker injured in tryout
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- Watch: Dodgers star makes cancer-stricken fan's day
- Peyton Manning returns to NFL with win