Betty White to do "Monday Night Football" opener
(CBS) - It is becoming increasingly clear that losing Hank Williams Jr. may be the best thing ever to happen to Monday Night Football. Barry Sanders' intro to the Detroit Lions-Chicago Bears game in October was an instant classic. And now ESPN is breaking out the big guns for their final MNF of the year: the great Betty White.
The 89-year-old icon will feature in a holiday-themed intro to a high-stakes divisional game between the New Orleans Saints and the Atlanta Falcons.
The ESPN announcement calls it "A White Christmas" (get it?). In addition to Ms. White's comedic skills, the game promises to be a flashy affair featuring Drew Brees and what Larry Holder of CBSSports.com calls "the most dynamic offense of all time" against bitter division rivals in Matt Ryan and the Falcons.
But is Betty even a fan of football? ESPN assures us she is, though her favorite sport is golf.
Popular in Sports
- Sergio Garcia apologizes to Tiger Woods for "fried chicken" remark
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- ESPN pulls Hank Williams Jr. over Obama remark
- Phelps wins record 19th Olympic medal
- "Egyptian Popeye" says 31-inch arms all-natural
- Lance Armstrong admits doping to Oprah
- Study: College athletes denied $6.2B over four years
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized