Reggie Bush: "It's been fun New Orleans"
The drafting of Ingram - and Bush's tweet - seemed to confirm the inevitable: the oft-injured, high-salaried running back and the Saints will be parting ways before the 2012 season.
As CBSSports.com's Will Brinson notes, the Bush-Saints split was all but certain anyway. The running back is slated to make $11.8 million next season so, unless he takes less money, Bush seemed destined to be wearing a new uniform next year - if there is a next year.
The second overall pick in the 2006 draft, Bush rushed 524 times for 2,090 yards and scored 29 touchdowns - but injuries forced him to miss significant time. He was only able to start 41 games over five years.
Bush, a fan favorite, took the drafting of Ingram in stride.
"Congrats to Mark Ingram on being selected to New Orleans," he tweeted a few hours after his farewell message. "He will be a great addition to the Saints backfield just as he was in Alabama."
Popular in Sports
- Ex- NFL player with ALS responds after radio hosts fired for mocking him
- Danny Green claims NBA Finals 3-pointer record, MVP next?
- Armstrong tweets pic with Tour de France jerseys
- Manu Ginobili pushes Spurs to edge of championship
- Putin denies stealing Patriots Super Bowl ring
- Ex-Saint hospitalized after health scare at game
- 11-year-old mariachi gets ovation from NBA crowd
- NASCAR's Jason Leffler killed in dirt car event accident