"The Great Gatsby" release date moved to May 10, 2013
(CBS News) "The Great Gatsby" has been given a new release date.
Baz Luhrmann's 3-D adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel will now arrive in theaters on May 10, 2013 - right at the beginning of the high-profile summer movie season.
"Audiences have been looking forward to Baz Luhrmann's film adaptation of one of the most beloved books of all time, and we felt this beautifully extravagant and dramatic film would be a perfect way for us to kick off the summer slate," Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said in a statement Thursday announcing the new release date, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Warner Bros. had originally scheduled "Gatsby" for a Christmas Day 2012 release but moved it off that date last month, saying it wanted a summer release so the film could reach a wider audience.
"The Great Gatsby" stars Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role, alongside Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire, Joel Edgarton, Isla Fisher and Jason Clarke.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"
- Something old, new, borrowed and...zombie 9 Photos
- Brad Pitt surprises fans at "World War Z" screening
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- Amanda Seyfried talks filming Seth MacFarlane's new Western Play Video
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards