Duchess Kate dons Alexander McQueen for state dinner
(CBS News) KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Resplendent in a white and gold dress by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen, Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William' attended a dinner with Malaysia's head of state, His Majesty the Agong, Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah of Kedah, Thursday at his official residence, the Instana Negara palace.
At the alcohol-free dinner (Malaysia has a Muslin culture), the royal couple exchanged gifts with their hosts William was given a gold Malay sword and the duchess received black-lace peep-toe shoes and a diamante clutch bag.
Kate's floor-length ivory gown had a sweetheart neckline, fitted bodice and a sheer overlay with embroidered gold hibiscuses, the Malaysian flower, according to the HRHDuchessKate blog.
She wore gold jewelry, gold high-heeled sandals and carried a gold clutch. The prince wore a blue suit .
Earlier in the day, Kate stressed the importance of specialized medical care for seriously ill children in her first speech outside the United Kingdom.
The Duchess of Cambridge said in a two-minute speech at a Malaysian hospice that "lives can be transformed" by providing places of support for child patients and their families.
The royal couple is on a nine-day tour of the Far East and South Pacific in celebration of Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee. They are scheduled to visit a Malaysian tropical jungle region on Borneo island before heading to the Solomon Islands on Saturday
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 109 Comments
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 50 Photos
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- First look: Jennifer Lawrence in "X-Men: Days of Future Past"
- "Mad Men" recap: 10 best moments