Michelle Kwan is engaged
(CBS News) Olympic figure skater Michelle Kwan and her boyfriend Clay Pell are engaged.
Pell proposed to the 32-year-old Kwan on Sept. 3. The two first met in April 2011.
"It was a simple decision and it made sense, that's what's so exciting to me," Kwan told People magazine about the proposal. "We are working together as a team, like in [pair skating]."
The 30-year-old Pell, who is the director for strategic planning on the National Security staff at the White House, proposed to Kwan on Block Island, off the coast of Rhode Island.
"I was nervous about wanting to do it right, but I wasn't nervous about what the answer would be," Pell told the magazine.
The couple both are in public service in Washington. Kwan was appointed by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to serve on the Council to Empower Women and Girls Through Sports in June. Kwan continues to work in the State Department as a U.S. public policy envoy.
Popular in Entertainment
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 130 Comments
- Selma Blair abruptly exits "Anger Management"
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- "The Voice" finale recap: Season 4 crowns a winner
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- Palace sheds some light on Kate's baby plans
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"