Jeff Probst launches talk show without celebrities
(CBS News) Jeff Probst of "Survivor" fame made his debut as a talk-show host Monday with an upbeat hour featuring non-celebrity guests who exemplify a "can-do" attitude.
Thirty-one-year old cancer victim Kelly Pozzoli, who has been told she may mot live to see her 33rd birthday, told Probst and the audience about how her diagnosis led her to a "seize the day" mentality. Because she aims to make her life as full as possible, she says with a brilliant smile, she has no time to waste on self pity.
Probst promises to check in on her journey throughout the season.
Joining her in the hour was 8-year-old Vivienne Har, and newlyweds Eileen 91, and Bob, 92. The girl has earned $50,000 for the charity Not for Sale by selling lemonade. Not for Sale is an organization fighting against human trafficking.
The nonagenarians fell in love at first sight in a nursing home and were married after a whirlwind two-week courtship.
"Survivor" fans will recognize the affable, laid-back interview style that has earned Probst four Emmys over the years. As he does in those shows, Probst relates to guests on a personal level. He asks guests to comment on one another's stories and looks to the audience for an occasional aside.
The show, produced for syndication by CBS Television, joins a season crowded with new and returning talk-shows. Steve Harvey's new talk show started last week and shows with Ricki Lake and Katie Couric also debuted today. New seasons also began today for veterans Anderson Cooper and Ellen DeGeneres.
Tell us: What did you think of Jeff Probst's new show?
Popular in Entertainment
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 109 Comments
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- Runaway mom begs for kids' forgiveness on Dr. Phil
- CBS takes "Mike & Molly" tornado-themed finale off air
- Toby Keith: Moore, Oklahoma "will persevere"
- First look: Jennifer Lawrence in "X-Men: Days of Future Past"