Kellie Pickler shaves head to support friend with breast cancer
(CBS News) Country singer Kellie Pickler showed her support for her friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer by shaving off her long blonde locks.
The 26-year-old former "American Idol" contestant shaved her head with her good friend Summer Miller, 36, who is about to start chemotherapy after already undergoing a double mastectomy.
Pickler and Miller have been friends since childhood, according to the singer's Facebook. She even refers to Miller as a "sister."
The singer sent "Good Morning America" the video of the moment the two chopped it all off.
"Cancer does not discriminate," Pickler told "GMA." "If this compels even one person to change their mentality toward waiting until the age of 40 for their mammogram, then it will be worth it," Miller added.
Check out the video below of the two taking the plunge.
Popular in Entertainment
- "Seinfeld": Where are they now? 15 Photos
- Weddings around the world 16 Photos
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- Obama to host concert honoring Carole King
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale
- "American Idol" winner announced