"GMA" co-host Robin Roberts' mother dies
(CBS/AP) Robin Roberts' mother died Thursday night, ABC News announced.
Lucimarian Roberts, the mother of the "Good Morning America" co-host, died at 88, said Jeffrey W. Schneider, senior vice president of ABC News.
ABC's Facebook page said Robins traveled "home to Mississippi just in time to see her."
The death came on the same day Roberts said goodbye to her co-workers and audience before starting medical leave for a bone marrow transplant.
Her departure had been set for Friday. But in a last-minute change of plans she told her viewers she was leaving a day early to visit her ailing mother.
WABC-TV said Lucimarian Roberts was the first African-American to head Mississippi's board of education. She also collaborated with her daughter on a book titled, "My Story, My Song - Mother-Daughter Reflections on Life and Faith."
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Stone Temple Pilots sue its former singer
- "Arrested Development" returns: Will you binge-watch?
- Something old, new, borrowed and...zombie 9 Photos