Duran Duran cancels rest of tour in wake of Nick Rhodes' illness
(CBS News) Duran Duran has been forced to cancel its remaining tour dates so keyboardist Nick Rhodes can recover from a recent illness. He's "too unwell to perform," a statement revealed on Tuesday.
The move comes after the British group scrapped four U.S. tour dates this past week. Duran Duran has been in the homestretch of its two-year "All You Need is Now" world tour, which was scheduled to wind down Sept. 1 in Rama, Ontario.
"Rhodes, who has been unwell now for over a week, was advised by doctors today that he is not yet ready to perform, as he is still experiencing the same symptoms that have kept him from the stage for the last few nights," the statement explained.
The band members are "devastated that what has been a triumphant tour for them, with many highlights, has ended this way - and know that the fans will be as disappointed as they are. Nick held out all week, hoping that he would be well enough to perform again for these final few shows, but unfortunately the medical advice he has been given today requires him to continue to rest," the statement continued.
No specifics were given about the keyboardist's illness. An earlier statement said doctors believed it could have been a result of exhaustion, while a later update mentioned a potential "viral infection."
Duran Duran had been on the road behind 2010's "All You Need is Now."
Popular in Entertainment
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" to series for 2013-2014 season
- "The Voice" pays tribute to Oklahoma tornado victims