Vera Farmiga to star in A&E's "Psycho" prequel, "Bates Motel"
(CBS News) Vera Farmiga is checking into A&E's "Bates Motel."
The Oscar-nominee has been cast in the network's "Psycho" prequel as Norman Bates' mother.
"We are delighted to welcome Vera Farmiga to 'Bates Motel,'" executive producer Carlton Cuse said in a statement, according to the Hollywood Reporter. "She is a phenomenal talent who has demonstrated incredible range and intelligence in a number of landmark film roles, and we couldn't be more excited to have her join our project."
"Bates Motel," inspired by Alfred Hitchcock's classic 1960 thriller "Psycho," is described as a contemporary exploration of the formative years of Norman Bates and his relationship with his mother. According to the network, viewers will "have access to the dark, twisted backstory and learn first-hand how Norma helped forge the most famous serial killer of them all."
Farmiga's character, Norma Bates, is described as "complicated, passionate, and compelling" woman who is always capable of surprising people, according to Entertainment Weekly.
The series will premiere on A&E in 2013.
Popular in Entertainment
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 46 Photos
- Taylor Swift dominates Billboard Music Awards
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- "Star Trek Into Darkness" wins weekend box office
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- "Inside Llewyn Davis" premieres at Cannes