Robin Roberts to start medical leave next week
(CBS/AP) Robin Roberts says Friday will be her last day co-anchoring "Good Morning America" before she starts her "extended medical leave."
Roberts made the announcement on Monday's edition of "GMA."
Roberts told viewers in July that she has MDS, a blood and bone marrow disease once known as preleukemia.
She says she will be hospitalized next week to prepare for the bone marrow transplant that will take place about 10 days after that.
But looking further ahead, Roberts noted she is luckier than many workers who become ill. She says her bosses have been generous in giving her the needed time off, and her job is waiting for her when she's well enough to return. She described herself as "very blessed.
Popular in Entertainment
- Brad Pitt surprises fans at "World War Z" screening
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"
- How to tie a bow tie Play Video
- Amanda Seyfried talks filming Seth MacFarlane's new Western Play Video
- Jewel opens up about portraying June Carter Cash