Rupert Murdoch asks public to give Prince Harry a break over naked photos
(CBS News) Rupert Murdoch says the public should give Prince Harry a break over those nude photos taken in Las Vegas.
The media mogul took to Twitter over the weekend to defend the 27-year-old prince - and offered him some advice.
"Prince Harry. Give him a break," Murdoch tweeted on Saturday. "He may be on the public payroll one way or another, but the public loves him, even to enjoy Las Vegas."
The next day, the 81-year-old added, "Only lesson for Prince Harry: avoid playmates with cameras!"
The tweets came days after Murdoch's Sun tabloid defied the wishes of Britain's royal family and became the first U.K. paper to publish the photos. It justified the move by saying the pictures were already online, and that there was a public interest in knowing what the prince was doing abroad.
Murdoch also defended the decision on Twitter: "Simple equation: free, open uncontrollable Internet versus shackled newspapers equals no newspapers. Let's get real."
Popular in Entertainment
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" to series for 2013-2014 season
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner