Al Roker comment hits close to home for "Today" show
During Thursday's show, Roker, Matt Lauer and newcomer co-host Savannah Guthrie were chatting with members of the U.S. women's rowing team. During the interview, they mentioned the tradition of a winning team throwing their coxswain into the water.Pictures: Ann Curry
Pictures: Savannah Guthrie
Lauer mentioned how the tradition in New York is to throw her into the Hudson River. Then Roker quipped, "Which is different than our tradition, which is you throw one of us under the bus, but that's another story.'' The co-hosts laughed, then playfully scolded Roker for his remark, saying "Mr. Roker."
Sources told TMZ that Curry didn't mind Roker's remarks on Thursday.
Two months ago "Today'' dumped Ann Curry amid reports that she and Lauer lacked on-air chemistry. She remains a correspondent for NBC.
Curry recently made her first appearance on "Today" since her departure as co-host. She was in London, introducing a segment for the London Games. During the live portion of the segment, Lauer made an effort at small talk, but Curry didn't engage him.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Brad Pitt surprises fans at "World War Z" screening
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"
- How to tie a bow tie Play Video
- Amanda Seyfried talks filming Seth MacFarlane's new Western Play Video
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards