"Sparkle" red-carpet event to kick off film's release in Detroit
(CBS/AP) "Sparkle" is bringing red carpet glamor to Detroit.
Singers J. Moss, KEM and K'Jon are expected to attend a special event in the Motown capital leading to the midnight release of the film.
The event is to begin about 9 p.m. Thursday with a celebrity meet and greet at the Royal Oak Emagine Theater, north of Detroit.
J. Moss will perform a musical tribute to the late Whitney Houston before the showing of the movie. Houston, one of the stars of the film, was found dead in her Los Angles hotel room on the eve of the Grammys in February.
The remake of the 1976 movie stars Houston as the mother of three girls who form a singing group and struggle with fame and drug addiction. Houston also served as executive producer.
Filming had completed in Detroit when she died in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Feb. 11 at age 48. Omari Hardwick, who plays Levi in "Sparkle, says the movie set was filled with laughter and Houston enjoyed playing practical jokes on her colleagues. The movie also stars Jordin Sparks.
Tickets for Thursday's event are available only at the Emagine Theater box office.
Whitney Houston 1963-2012
Popular in Entertainment
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 40 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- Denmark's de Forest wins Eurovision song contest
- Friends pay tribute to George Jones at funeral
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale