Prince Albert II and Charlene leave the Olympics to attend the Red Cross Ball
(CBS News) Monaco's Princess Charlene and Prince Albert II took a quick break from the London Games, where they have been seen embracing the Olympic spirit, to return to Monaco for the Red Cross Ball, one of Monaco's biggest annual events.
Prince Albert and Princess Charlene, who both competed in previous Olympics, have been photographed in the stands almost daily since the Games opened July 27.. But, both had to take a break to host one of Monaco's glitziest black-tie events.
The royal couple hosted the 64th annual Monte-Carlo Red Cross Ball on Friday. A major fundraiser for the global charity, it is attended by celebrities and dignitaries from all over the world. This year,. entertainment was provided by Scorpions, the German rockers known for their '80s anthem "Rock You Like a Hurricane."
Princess Charlene turned heads wearing a gown with a gold sequined bodice and white draped skirt. Prince Albert complemented Charlene's ensemble by wearing a white tuxedo.
The event was attended by Gareth Wittstock, Charlene's brother, and the newly engaged couple Andrea Casiraghi and Tatiana Santo Domingo. Casiraghi is Prince Albert' nephew, the son of Monaco's Princess Caroline.
Popular in Entertainment
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 50 Photos
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- "Mad Men" recap: 10 best moments
- Taylor Swift dominates Billboard Music Awards
- "Star Trek Into Darkness" wins weekend box office
- "Star Wars" animated series coming 2014