"The Great Gatsby" release date pushed to summer 2013
(CBS News) Movie-goers will have to wait a bit longer to see Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of "The Great Gatsby."
Warner Bros. has pushed the film's release date from Dec. 25 to next summer, it was announced Monday.
The 3-D film stars Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role, alongside Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire and Joel Edgarton. A trailer was released back in May.
"Based on what we've seen, Baz Luhrmann's incredible work is all we anticipated and so much more. It truly brings Fitzgerald's American classic to life in a completely immersive, visually stunning and exciting way. We think moviegoers of all ages are going to embrace it, and it makes sense to ensure this unique film reaches the largest audience possible," Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said in a statement.
Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, president of international distribution for Warner Bros., added, "We think 'The Great Gatsby' will be the perfect summer movie around the world."
No specific new release date was announced.
Popular in Entertainment
- "Seinfeld": Where are they now? 15 Photos
- Weddings around the world 16 Photos
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Friends pay tribute to George Jones at funeral