Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth want a long engagement
And as for skeptics who say she's too young to get married, Cyrus said, "Life is too short not to be with the person you want to be with. I don't really care about the wedding or the piece of paper as much as I do the promise we've made to each other."
Hemsworth proposed with a cushion-cut diamond ring with a center stone dating back to the 19th century.
"I had no input," Cyrus said about the ring. "We'd been kind of talking about getting engaged ... I saw it online at one point and thought it was really pretty ... I just love that it's old and has a story. And I'm happy because it doesn't look like anything else I wear."
Cyrus met the Australian actor on the set of the 2009 film, "The Last Song."
The former "Hannah Montana" star appears on the cover of the new Marie Claire, which hits newsstands Aug. 14.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss
- Something old, new, borrowed and...zombie 9 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"