Jena Malone officially cast in "The Hunger Games" sequel, "Catching Fire"
(CBS News) Jena Malone has officially joined the cast of "The Hunger Games" sequel.
Malone, who recently starred in the Emmy-nominated miniseries "Hatfields & McCoys," will play the role of Johanna Mason in the second installment of the futuristic franchise, "Catching Fire."
Lionsgate Films announced Monday that Malone has been cast as the female victor from a past Games. The character, still in her early 20s, is one of the youngest, but also one of the most psychologically scarred Quarter Quell participants.
"Catching Fire" begins as Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) returns home after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson). While embarking on a "Victor's Tour" of the different districts Katniss learns that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol still exerts its control as the 75th annual Hunger Games (Quarter Quell) begins.
Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was cast earlier this month as new head game-maker Plutarch Heavensbee, and Amanda Plummer will play the role of Wiress. Sepculation has been rampant over who will play former "Hunger Games" victor Finnick Odair.
Based on the second book of Suzanne Collins' best-selling trilogy, "Catching Fire" will hit theaters on Nov. 22, 2013.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss
- Something old, new, borrowed and...zombie 9 Photos
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Amanda Seyfried talks filming Seth MacFarlane's new Western Play Video