Sigourney Weaver's "Political Animals" premieres
(CBS News) "Political Animals," USA's new political mini-series starring Sigourney Weaver, premiered Sunday night with a plot line about journalists and politicians. The series, while fictional, seems to take inspiration from the Clintons.
Elaine Barrish Hammond (Weaver) is a former first lady, whose husband, two-term president Bud Hammond (Ciaran Hinds), cheated on her. Elaine ran for president, but fell short in the primary and instead accepted the role of Secretary of State.
The Hammond family distinguishes itself from the Clintons with their children. They have a gay son with a substance abuse problem and another son who is seemingly perfect. After Elaine loses the primary she demands a divorce from her husband.
A reporter named Susan Berg (Carla Gugino) blackmails Elaine into giving her an exclusive interview - Berg knows that the Hammond's troubled son tried to commit suicide.
But Berg -- who is sleeping with her editor -- slips up. She tells him the suicide story, he then passes on the story to one of her colleagues and Berg loses her edge on Elaine.
In the end, Elaine and Berg become unlikely allies after Berg confesses how her editor betrayed her trust. Elaine, who is surprised by Berg's honesty, gives her a scoop.
Tell us: Will you keep watching "Political Animals"?
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Stone Temple Pilots sue its former singer
- "Arrested Development" returns: Will you binge-watch?
- Colin Farrell talks "Epic" new role Play Video