"Big Brother" season 14 premiere full of twists and surprises
A total of 12 new guests entered the house, equipped with 53 cameras and 97 microphones, recording their every move 24 hours a day.
And this year, the houseguests have company.
Host Julie Chen revealed that four "Big Brother" veterans have returned as coaches: Britney Haynes (season 12), Dan Gheesling (season 10 winner), Janelle Pierzina (seasons 6 and 7) and Mike Boogie (season 2 and winner of season 7).
The coaches have to pick three players to mentor. A "Big Brother" alum can walk away with $100,000 if someone on his or her team wins the competition.
As for the houseguests, they range from JoJo Spatafora, a 26-year-old bartender hailing from Staten Island, N.Y., to Ian Terry, a 21-year-old chemical engineering student at Tulane University.
Once the teams were chosen Thursday night, it was time for the first head-of-the-household competition, which kicked off with a race involving stuffed bears. Haynes' group ends up sweeping the game.
The second twist? A houseguest has already been evicted. Jodi Rollins, 42, a newlywed with five stepchildren was given the boot in the premiere episode. That leaves 11 houseguests to battle it out for the grand prize of $500,000.
"Big Brother" will be broadcast three nights weekly, beginning July 15, at 8:00 p.m. ET and Wednesday, July 16, at 8:00 ET.
Tell us: What did you think of the season premiere?
Popular in Entertainment
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" to series for 2013-2014 season
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner