Dave Matthews to perform at Farm Aid benefit concert
(CBS/AP) Dave Matthews, Willie Nelson, Neil Young and John Mellencamp are all slated to perform at the annual Farm Aid benefit concert this September in Hershey, Pa.
Farm Aid has been held nearly every year since 1985, including in western Pennsylvania a decade ago, and has raised more than $40 million to help keep family farmers on their land.
Matthews, who is a board member, sees demand growing for the types of farm products produced by smaller operations.
"I do feel like our awareness is changing in this country, but it's not fast, and it's not fast enough," Matthews said last week before his band performed at the same stadium where Farm Aid 2012 will be staged.
"There needs to be an effort, I think, to increase the number of people that are informed and the number of people who have access to better food."
Matthews, a Farm Aid performer since 1995 and a board member since 2001, maintains a farm and vineyard in Virginia. His family also grows some of the food they eat at their Seattle home.
Tickets for this year's show go on sale Friday. Matthews' fellow board members Nelson, Young and Mellencamp will perform at the event, as will Jack Johnson, ALO, Pegi Young and The Survivors, and Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real.
The performances will take palce at Hersheypark on Sept. 22.
Popular in Entertainment
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" to series for 2013-2014 season
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"