"Oz the Great and Powerful": First official poster released
(CBS News) Walt Disney Pictures has unveiled the first official poster for its prequel to "The Wizard of Oz."
The live-action film, titled "Oz the Great and Powerful," stars James Franco in the title role. The cast also includes Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis, Zach Braff and Rachel Weisz.
"Oz the Great and Powerful" takes place before Dorothy came over the rainbow. This time around, it's Oz - or Oscar Diggs, as he's known at the beginning of the story - who is whisked away from a Kansas circus to the magical land.
The poster is rife with "Wizard of Oz" imagery, including the yellow brick road, the Emerald City, the wizard's hot air balloon and a slew of tornadoes.
The film, directed by Sam Raimi ("Spider-Man"), is due to arrive in theaters in 2013. Raimi will be on hand to discuss the film at Comic-Con in San Diego on July 12, according to Entertainment Weekly.
This is one of three Oz-centric films currently in the works, EW reports. There's also "Dorothy of Oz," an animated version with Lea Michele voicing the title role, and a CG/stop-motion take from "Corpse Bride" co-director Mike Johnson.
Tell us: What do you think of the poster for "Oz the Great and Powerful"?
Popular in Entertainment
- "Seinfeld": Where are they now? 15 Photos
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- Weddings around the world 16 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- Obama to host concert honoring Carole King
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Runaway mom tells Dr. Phil: "They're better off without me"