Tom Cruise tops Forbes' highest-paid actors list
Pictures: Tom Cruise
Timeline: Cruise's highs and lows
Watch: "Jack Reacher" trailer
He has 2011's "Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol" to thank for the title, as the movie earned $700 million at the box office worldwide.
The news comes just days after Katie Holmes, Cruise's wife of five years, filed for divorce. Forbes called the split "a blight on an otherwise stellar year for the star."
Leonardo DiCaprio came in second on the list, with $37 million. "DiCaprio is still one of the few actors who can demand a $20 million paycheck for serious, adult films," Forbes explains.
Tied with DiCaprio was Adam Sandler, also with $37 million. Although critics blasted his 2011 film, "Jack and Jill," Sandler fans still hit the theaters.
Rounding out the top five were Dwayne Johnson, Ben Stiller and Sacha Baron Cohen.
Forbes came up with the tally based on upfront pay, profit participation, residuals, endorsements and advertising. Magazine editors also spoke with managers, agents and attorneys.
See the complete list here.
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes
Popular in Entertainment
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 120 Comments
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- Selma Blair abruptly exits "Anger Management"
- "The Voice" finale recap: Season 4 crowns a winner
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- "The Voice": Top three sing for the win
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video