Scientology's stars: Which celebrities practice the religion?
The couple wed before a Church of Scientology minister in 2006, and Cruise has been a key member of the church for years. But now TMZ reports that Holmes is seeking sole legal custody of their daughter because she doesn't want Cruise to control decisions relating to religion.Pictures: Scientology's Stars
Read more: Katie Holmes steps out after split
Read more: Inside the divorce filing
Cruise and Holmes aren't the only celebrities who practice Scientology. John Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston, Kirstie Alley, singer Beck, actress Leah Remini and "Mad Men" star Elisabeth Moss also follow it.
But some stars have abandoned the church in recent years.
Filmmaker Paul Haggis resigned from the church in 2009 out of anger over its implicit support of California's Proposition 8, the ban on same-sex marriage.
Developed by L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology is described as "a religion that offers a precise path leading to a complete and certain understanding of one's true spiritual nature and one's relationship to self, family, groups, Mankind, all life forms, the material universe, the spiritual universe and the Supreme Being," according to its website.
Go here to see the other stars who subscribe to Scientology.
Popular in Entertainment
- "Seinfeld": Where are they now? 15 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- Denmark's de Forest wins Eurovision song contest
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- "American Idol" winner announced
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale