Lauryn Hill pleads guilty in N.J. to failing to file federal taxes
(CBS/AP)The Grammy-winning singer Lauryn Hill has pleaded guilty to failing to pay taxes on money she earned from 2005 to 2007.
Hill was charged early this month with three counts of failing to file tax returns on more than $1.5 million earned from those three years.
Hill appeared in U.S. District Court in Newark, N.J.,on Friday and admitted not filing taxes for all three years. She faces a maximum one-year sentence on each count.
The 37-year-old singer got her start with The Fugees and began her solo career in 1998 with the critically acclaimed album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill." Hill has earned eight Grammy awards during her career.
She then largely disappeared from public view to raise her six children, five of whom she had with Rohan Marley, the son of famed reggae singer Bob Marley.
Popular in Entertainment
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- "The Voice" pays tribute to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner