Flaming Lips break 24-hour record for live shows
(AP) NEW ORLEANS - It's official: The Flaming Lips are the music world's road warriors.
The psychedelic rockers from Oklahoma set a new Guinness World Record for most live shows in a 24-hour period, finishing off their feat of eight performances Thursday night in New Orleans.
Their journey started a day earlier in Memphis, Tenn., and they were joined on their trip south through the Mississippi Delta by several other acts and celebrities in celebration of MTV's O Music Awards. Jay-Z held the record previously at seven shows in 24 hours.
Lips lead singer Wayne Coyne called the record "an absurd joy" in a news release.
While the Lips were rocking, Selena Gomez, Big Freedia, Karmin, Adam Lambert, iamwhoiam and 30 Seconds to Mars picked up O Music Awards wins.
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 120 Comments
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- CBS takes "Mike & Molly" tornado-themed finale off air
- Runaway mom begs for kids' forgiveness on Dr. Phil
- Brad Pitt: "I've haven't known life to be any happier"