"So You Think You Can Dance" reveals Top 20
(CBS News) "So You Think You Can Dance" unveiled its new crop of hopefuls on Wednesday night - and this year, two of them will become winners.
For the first time in the show's history, one male and one female will be chosen as champions.
Judges selected the Season 9 competitors during pre-taped segments on Wednesday's episode. Once their fates were revealed, the dancers performed in groups during a live portion of the show. They then received praise from Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy and the night's guest judge, "New Girl" actress Zooey Deschanel.
This season has an eclectic mix of dancers and styles - this group has no tap, Broadway or break dancers in the Top 20. A belly dancer has made it into the final group for the first time, as has a step dancer. There's also a dancer who does "martial arts fusion" and another whose specialty is robotics/animation.
Fans won't get to see the dancers perform again for another two weeks. The first live performance show will take place on July 11, when the 20 dancers will be paired into 10 couples. Votes can then be cast via phone, text and online.
Because "SYTYCD" now airs only once a week, the following Wednesday (July 18) will be the first combined live performance and results show. The 10 couples will perform again, and the bottom three male and female dancers will be revealed. After they dance for their lives, the judges will decide which two will be eliminated.
Here's a list of the Top 20, and their dancing styles:
- Alexa Anderson, 19 - contemporary
- Amber Jackson, 24 - Contemporary
- Amelia Lowe, 18 - Contemporary
- Audrey Case, 18 - Jazz
- Brandon Mitchell, 27 - Stepping
- Chehon Wespi-Tschopp, 23 - Ballet
- Cole Horibe, 26 - Martial arts fusion
- Cyrus "Glitch" Spencer, 22 - Animation/Robotics
- Daniel Baker, 24 - Contemporary ballet
- Dareian Kujawa, 20 - Contemporary
- Eliana Girard, 21 - Contemporary ballet
- George Lawrence II, 19 - Contemporary
- Janaya French, 20 - Lyrical contemporary
- Janelle Isis, 24 - Belly dancer
- Lindsay Arnold, 18 - Latin ballroom
- Matthew Kazmierczak, 21 - Contemporary
- Nick Bloxsom-Carter, 20 - Ballroom
- Tiffany Maher, 19 - Jazz
- Will Thomas, 19 - Contemporary
- Witney Carson, 18 - Latin ballroom
Tell us: Who are you rooting for this season on "So You Think You Can Dance"?
"So You Think You Can Dance" Season 9
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Stone Temple Pilots sue its former singer
- "Arrested Development" returns: Will you binge-watch?