Billy Ray Cyrus to make Broadway debut in "Chicago"
The "Achy Breaky Heart" singer will portray criminal lawyer Billy Flynn for a seven-week stint beginning Nov. 5.
"l love acting, and I'm always up for learning new things," Cyrus, 50, told USA Today, adding, "I get a little nervous thinking about it. Maybe a lot nervous."
Through the years, several celebrities have appeared on the "Chicago" stage, including Sofia Vergara, Melanie Griffith, Brooke Shields, Ashlee Simpson, Usher and Jerry Springer.
As for Cyrus, he's not a complete stranger to the stage. In 2005, he appeared in a Toronto production of "Annie Get Your Gun."
He starred with his daughter, Miley Cyrus, in "Hannah Montana," and has acted in TV movies on Lifetime and the Hallmark Channel. He also hosted country music's "Nashville Star."
Cyrus wasn't the most adept dancer, though, while competing on "Dancing With the Stars," in 2007. Still, Cyrus ended up being a fan favorite, making it to the semi-finals before getting kicked off in week eight.
Looking ahead, Cyrus has a lot planned for the coming year. He's working on a new album and tour and will release an autobiography, called "Hillbilly Heart," next April.
Stars on Broadway
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss
- Something old, new, borrowed and...zombie 9 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"