Dylan McDermott's mother murdered in '67, Conn. cops say
(CBS/AP) WATERBURY, Conn. - A reopened police investigation in Connecticut has concluded that actor Dylan McDermott's mother was killed by her gangster boyfriend in 1967.
Waterbury police reopened the investigation last year into Diane McDermott's death after Dylan McDermott contacted them with questions, the Republican-American newspaper reports.
The actor was 5 when his mother was shot in February 1967. Her death was originally ruled an accident.
Police told the newspaper that the evidence they found would be enough to file murder charges against John Sponza. But Sponza was killed in 1972, his body found in the trunk of a car in a Massachusetts grocery store parking lot.
Dylan McDermott declined to comment to the newspaper about the investigation.
He won a Golden Globe in 1999 for his role on the TV drama "The Practice" and most recently starred as Dr. Ben Harmon on FX's "American Horror Story."
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- At last: "Arrested" is reborn Sunday on Netflix
- "DWTS": Finalists compete for mirror ball trophy
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner