"General Hospital" wins big with 5 Daytime Emmys
Anthony Geary accepts the award for lead actor in a drama series for "General Hospital" onstage at the 39th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Saturday, June 23, 2012 in Beverly Hills, Calif. / Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP
(AP) BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - The Daytime Emmys showered "General Hospital" with five trophies, including best drama, while giving Regis Philbin a fond farewell as a departing talk-show host.
The "Today" show won as best morning show and "Jeopardy!" was named best game show at the annual ceremony Saturday.
"Live with Regis and Kelly" was saluted as best entertainment talk show and for best talk-show hosts. Philbin ended his long run as co-host last November, with a replacement yet to be named to join Kelly Ripa as the series continues.
The 39th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards was telecast on the HLN channel, moving to cable for the first time after being aired on CBS the past two years. The awards are bestowed by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
Popular in Entertainment
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- Music critics believe in Kanye West's "Yeezus"
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice"
- Chappelle to return with comedy tour
- Streisand slams treatment of women in Israel 352 Comments
- Justin Bieber behind wheel as car hits man in Hollywood
- "Monsters University" premieres in Hollywood 20 Photos
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"