Audra McDonald, Tony Award winner, out of "Porgy and Bess" for weeks
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - Those wanting to see Audra McDonald in her Tony-winning role in "The Gershwin's Porgy and Bess" will have to wait a while longer.
The actress is temporarily stepping down from the Broadway production while she recovers from inflamed vocal cords. She is due to return July 3.
Her spokesman said: "No one is more frustrated and disappointed than she is that she will be out of the show through the end of June, but she must adhere to her doctor's orders."
At the Tony Awards earlier this month, McDonald was named best lead actress in a musical and her show was named best musical revival.
Late Wednesday, a frustrated McDonald said she's endured cameras and mirrors shoved down her throat and must now be silent. She tweeted: "Want 2 scream but not allowed to speak."
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- At last: "Arrested" is reborn Sunday on Netflix
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner
- "DWTS": Finalists compete for mirror ball trophy