Lady Gaga fights back after Madonna "Born This Way" cover
(CBS News) Lady Gaga took time out of her concert on Thursday in New Zealand to address those who "make a mockery of" her work.
The shout-out seemed to be directed at Madonna, who has performed a mash-up of Gaga's "Born This Way" with her own "Express Yourself," a song that she and many believe to have informed Gaga's single.
"It sometimes makes people feel better about themselves, you know, to put other people down, or make fun of them, or maybe make mockery of their work and that doesn't make me feel good at all," said Gaga in concert. "I don't even want to fight back because it's more important to me to keep writing music. Because that's really all I care about, is the music."
Gaga continued saying, "Things are really different than they were 25 years ago, and that's what makes 'Born This Way' so relevant for me. We're socially in a completely different place and it's OK."
Madonna performed a cover of "Born This Way" and blended it seamlessly with her own 1989 hit "Express Yourself" at the first concert of her MDNA tour.
In an interview with "20/20" in January Madonna acknowledged the similarities between the two songs.
"I thought this is a wonderful way to redo my song," said Madonna. "I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was ...interesting."
Popular in Entertainment
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- "The Hangover III": Critics aren't drunk with excitement
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- "Now You See Me" cast talks magic at N.Y. premiere
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- Paul McCartney writes in support of Pussy Riot
- Eva Longoria graduates with a master's degree