Richard Dawson remembered with game show TV marathon
Read more: Richard Dawson dies at 79
Read more: Celebs remember Richard Dawson
The marathon featured some of Dawson's most memorable moments, including the time he met future wife Gretchen when she was a contestant on "Family Feud" in 1981.
Before taking on the game show world, Dawson portrayed Cpl. Peter Newkirk on CBS' late 1960s-early 1970s sitcom "Hogan's Heroes." He hosted "Match Game" and "Family Feud" in the 1970s and 1980s, going on to win a daytime Emmy in 1978 for his work on "Feud."
Dawson died in Los Angeles on June 2 from complications from esophageal cancer. He was 79.
His son Gary recently told Access Hollywood, "He was diagnosed with cancer just like three weeks ago, so it all just kind of happened really quickly. He was actually going in for his first radiation treatment when he had a heart attack."
Richard Dawson: 1932- 2012
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 129 Comments
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- "DWTS": Finalists compete for mirror ball trophy
- "The Voice" to feature tribute to tornado victims