"America's Got Talent" contestant was not vetted, says source
(CBS/AP) A person familiar with the production of "America's Got Talent" says a background check wasn't conducted on Timothy Michael Poe, an Afghanistan war veteran who is under scrutiny for his claims of battle injuries.
The person, who wasn't authorized to discuss the issue publicly and spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said Wednesday that Poe was one of about 4,000 people who vied for a spot on the NBC series, which doesn't vet contestants until they reach the ranks of the top 48.
On Monday's episode of "America's Got Talent," Poe described serious injuries inflicted by a grenade in Afghanistan in 2009. But a Minnesota Army National Guard spokesman said records for Poe don't reflect such an incident.
Popular in Entertainment
- James Gandolfini dead at 51
- James Gandolfini: 1961-2013 21 Photos
- Watch: Miley Cyrus' trippy "We Can't Stop" music video
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 145 Comments
- James Franco blasts "Spider-Man" reboot
- Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stars pay tribute to James Gandolfini