Actress Garcelle Beauvais signs deal for children's books
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - Haitian-American model and actress Garcelle Beauvais will dig into her own background for the life lessons she is planning to share in a series of children's books.
A statement released Monday says the 45-year-old "Franklin & Bash" star has an agreement with Stranger Comics for three books that will "address identity issues relevant to many children today."
The series will be called "I Am." The first book, "I Am Mixed," is coming out this fall. It will tell of a brother and sister and their mixed ethnicities. Beauvais was born in Haiti and moved after her parents' divorce to Massachusetts with her mother.
A second book will be about children of divorce. Beauvais' parents were divorced, and she has been married twice. She had a son with her first husband, Daniel Saunders, and twins with her second husband, talent agent Mike Nilon.
The mother of three got her start as a model and is best known for her roles on "The Jamie Foxx Show" and "NYPD Blue."
Children's Books By Celebrities
Popular in Entertainment
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"
- "The Voice" pays tribute to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers