MTV's "The Real World" hits 20-year anniversary
(CBS News) This is the true story...of a reality show that premiered two decades ago.
Yes, you read that correctly. On Monday, MTV's "The Real World" celebrates its 20th anniversary.
The first season debuted on May 21, 1992, and took place in New York City. Since then, there have been 26 "Real World" seasons, and reality shows like "Real Housewives," "The Bachelor" and "Big Brother" have become television staples.
Along with launching the modern-day reality TV genre, "The Real World" is also credited with tackling a number of serious issues in its early years, including homosexuality, AIDS, racism and substance abuse.
The next season of "The Real World" will take place in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, and is set to premiere on June 27. MTV has also ordered a 28th season of the show.
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 118 Comments
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- CBS takes "Mike & Molly" tornado-themed finale off air
- Runaway mom begs for kids' forgiveness on Dr. Phil
- Brad Pitt: "I've haven't known life to be any happier"