Chris Hemsworth and wife welcome a baby girl
(CBS News) Chris Hemsworth, star of "The Avengers" and the upcoming "Snow White and The Huntsman," is now a father.
The actor and his wife, Elsa Pataky, welcomed their first child, a girl they named India.
"It was just a name we liked, I always kind of like Indie or Indiana for a boy and she likes India," the Australian actor told E! News. "We sorta went, 'Oh well, whether it's a boy or a girl, that will decide.' It just seemed to fit."
According to People, the baby was born on Friday, but Hemsworth and his wife are keeping mum on the exact day that India was born, telling E! she was born "very recently."
The two were married in December 2010 and announced they were expecting in January of this year.
Hemsworth plays Thor in this month's blockbuster "The Avengers," which has dominated the box office. "Snow White and The Huntsman," which also stars Kristen Stewart and Charlize Theron, opens June 1.
Popular in Entertainment
- "Seinfeld": Where are they now? 15 Photos
- Weddings around the world 16 Photos
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Obama to host concert honoring Carole King