"Cougar Town" gets rescued by TBS
The ABC sitcom, a cult favorite but never a ratings blockbuster on broadcast television, will be moving to cable's TBS, the network said Thursday.Read more: Fox renews "Touch," cancels "The Finder," "Alcatraz"'
TBS has ordered a fourth season of the sitcom, which was facing cancellation by ABC.
New episodes are scheduled to begin airing early next year. In addition, TBS has acquired rights to repeat the show's first three seasons of 61 episodes originally seen on ABC.
According to Entertainment Weekly, the latest season of "Cougar Town" averaged 5.3 million viewers and a 1.9 rating in the adult demo. Viewership fell after the series moved to Tuesday nights.
"Cougar Town" stars Courteney Cox as a recently divorced mom struggling with the challenges and pitfalls of her new single life.
The series also stars Brian Van Holt, Christa Miller, Ian Gomez, Josh Hopkins and Busy Philipps.
Popular in Entertainment
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" to series for 2013-2014 season
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"