"The Avengers" earns $178.4 million overseas
(CBS/AP) "The Avengers" doesn't open in the U.S. until Friday, but it already has done big numbers overseas, earning a total of $178.4 million.
Disney's action-adventure film opened in 39 other countries a week before its North American debut, and receipts show it lived up to its buzz.
The film had the biggest opening weekend ever in Mexico, Barzil, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Central America, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, New Zealand and The Philippines, according to Hollywood.com.
The Marvel Comics-inspired blockbuster's cast includes Robert Downey Jr. Scarlett Johansson, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Jeremy Renner and Samuel L. Jackson.
The film, directed by Joss Whedon, has strong word-of-mouth domestically from fans who were able to see advanced screenings and from critics who have already given the film high marks.
Now, the question is, will the film break records domestically?
Popular in Entertainment
- Brad Pitt surprises fans at "World War Z" screening
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Jewel opens up about portraying June Carter Cash
- How to tie a bow tie Play Video
- Paul McCartney writes in support of Pussy Riot
01No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 124628 views
04Obama prom pictures surface 24460 views